Monday, March 28, 2011

Days 25-27: Balance

It's been a rough week (hence the three days-in-one post), but the key this week has been balance. Sad day at work balanced by a walk through the park and a fruit bowl with blackberries, bananas, strawberries and kiwi. Sleep deprivation from being on call balanced by yoga and edamame hummus and amazing homemade vegetarian chili. Wintery spring day balanced by a p90x workout and a hot cup of coffee brought back from Ethiopia.

Mind. Body.

Wellness means balance of both. To reach that place where just for a moment on the seesaw you are parallel to the ground, floating in midair, playful laughter in your heart as you hold your breath wondering which way the seesaw will teeter. And it will teeter, because balance requires hard work and vigilance amidst constant change.

Part of the hard work that I need to do is around physical activity. Now, I don't write much about exercise, mostly because I am no expert, but what I do know is that part of this healthy balance is making sure you get your heart pumping regularly, break a little sweat every once in a while, strengthen your muscles, and work on flexibility. It's about calories in versus calories out. I will be the first to admit that I am not good about maintaining the calories out part of this balance, but not because I don't find it to be extremely important. But I do believe that what you choose to do for physical activity should be something that you find joy in and makes you feel good. Exercise should be fun or healing, not make you want to cry or bore you. Change it up to keep life interesting and to work your whole body. 

For me, I have figured out that I love to dance and love to do yoga. I like hiking because of the scenery but that's not a regular thing. I like music while I move. And I like to be guided through activity to keep me motivated. So now I just have to put that all into a regular routine for myself amidst a busy schedule. But again balance, because I know I will be better at attacking this schedule if I am fit and feel good about myself, which can only happen when I am achieving that balance.

I don't think there is hierarchy to exercise forms...it's just about what works for you and how you manage to stick to it. So think about what you enjoy, what makes you feel good, and how you can make those things a regular part of your life. And work on it, because it will make you feel better and help you live a healthier life. And I will do the same. And if we fall off the balance beam, all we have to do is dust ourselves off and get back on. After all, this ain't the Olympics and nobody's judging. But it is life, and we should do our best at it.

Recipe of the Day: Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower Fusion
Great recipes are often a balance of flavors and ideas. Here I took a simple mashed potato and added cauliflower for better nutrients and less carbohydrates, then fused together flavors from India and Latin America. Mmmm!!

So first I boiled the potatoes and steamed the cauliflower until tender. I left the skins on the potatoes for added fiber. I also wrapped some garlic cloves in foil, popped them in the toaster over at 350 for 10 minutes to roast them (this works best when you leave them in their skin, and then peel after roasting). Once those were all done, I mashed all three together. Then for flavor I added:

Cumin
Lime
Cilantro
Parsley
Grated Jalapeno
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
A small touch of Earth Balance (vegan butter substitute)

The salty, sour and spicy really went well together! And specks of potato skin and green herbs really made it a pretty dish!

This was served at our monthly yoga veggie potluck tonight...along with amazing vegetarian chili, artichoke dip, spinach dip, all sorts of hummus, a quinoa salad, kale, salad, yummy brussel sprouts, multigrain bread, and veg dumplings. LOVING the leftovers!!


Local Flavor: Be Yoga Charlotte 

Photo
http://beyogaandwellness.com/
1247 East Blvd., Suite 250
Charlotte, NC 28203

I have done yoga classes here and there in all the places that I have lived, and this place is by far my favorite (and it doesn't hurt that it is literally a five minute walk from my house). The instructors really get yoga, real yoga, and it shows in their practice and teaching styles. Christine, the director, yogi, and teacher extraordinaire...who also happens to currently be our fabulous housemate...is amazing! And she made the awesome veggie chili I speak of in the blog. 

But if you're in Charlotte, check it out, take a class from Christine or any of the other fabulous teachers, set your intention for class and really go with it. This yoga studio isn't just about the exercise, but about the mind-body-soul connection, and really showing you a way of living. But do not be mistaken, it will also make you use and build your strength and endurance. And check out upcoming workshops on Reiki, Hula Hooping, Soul Collage, and Meditative Drawing. Maybe I will see you there at my next class!!

No comments:

Post a Comment